Samcheok City, located in Gangwon Province, is like a hidden gem of South Korea. The city is in the far south side of the province, boasting the most beautiful, chill beach, nature and fun experiences. The population of the city is only about 70 thousands, yet still full of charm that will make you satisfied.
Now, let's discover the things to do in Samcheok City because there's so many!
OK, the first destination is Haeshindang Penis Park. Yes, PENIS park. The place is completely filled with penis statues in all different shapes, sizes and designs. You must be wondering why there's so many penises, there's actually a love story coming along the area.
It all started with memorial services to comfort the sorrow of a young woman named Erang who suddenly died in the ocean that is right in front of the park. She was in love with a man named Deokbae and wanted to marry him which could not come true because of her sudden death. The fishing in the area didn't go well since then so the neighbors decided to comfort her sorrow with rituals. That's how it all started and now the park is literally full of penises all over the place.
Haeshindang Penis Park has been earning much popularity from tourists visiting for the strangest scene. It sure is one of the most exotic, unique places to visit in South Korea.
Address : Kilnam-ri, Wonduk-eup, Samcheok-si, Gangwon-do
Inquiries : +82-33-572-4429
Admission Fees : Adults 3,000 KRW / Teens 2,000 KRW / Children 1,500 KRW
- High Season (May - Oct) : 09:00 - 18:00
- Low Season (Nov - Feb) : 09:00 - 17:00
* Ticketing due an hour before closing.
* Closed on the 18th every month.
In fact, Samcheok city has the biggest number of caves in the country. One of the most famous caves in the city is Hwanseon Cave, the largest cave in South Korea and in the Orient. This 6.5 km long, 530 million year old cave was designated as a natural monument No. 178 by South Korean Government (1966) for its extraordinary value.
There are 47 species of animals living in the cave, 4 of which can be found in Hwanseon Cave only. Hwanseon Cave is well-known for having abundant stalagmites and stone pillars in surprisingly bizarre shapes. The monorail started running in 2010 which makes your trip much easier and enjoyable.
Address : 800 Hwanseon-ro, Shingi-myeon, Samcheok-si, Gangwon-do
Inquiries : +82-33-541-9266
Opening Hours : 09:00 - 16:00 all year round.
* Closed on the 18th of every month.
- Cave : Adults 4,500 KRW / Children 2,800 KRW
- Monorail : Adults 4,000 KRW / Children 2,000 KRW (one way)
Adults 7,000 KRW / Children 3,000 KRW (round trip)
* Go on to the official website for more info.
The cable car runs from Yonghwa-ri to Jangho-ri which is 874m in length. There are two cars available ; Sunshine car and Sunrise car. You can capture the most magnificent, extensive view of East Sea and Samcheok City as you cross the ocean in the air.
There's an observatory and sky lounge near for you to take the most advantage of the scenic view and chillax.
- Yonghwa Station : 2154-31 Samcheok-ro, Geundeok-myeon, Samcheok-si, Gangwon-do
- Jangho Station : 12-10 Janghohang-gil, Geundeok-myeon, Samcheok-si, Gangwon-do
- High Season (Apr - Oct) : 09:00 - 20:00
* Ticketing closes at 19:30
- Low Season (Nov - May) : 09:00 - 18:00
* Ticketing closes at 17:30
* Closed on 18th of every month.
- One way : Adults 6,000 KRW / Children 4,000 KRW
- Round trip : Adults 10,000 KRW / Children 6,000 KRW
* Adults : 13 years of age or older
* Children : 7 ~ 12 years old
Inquiries : +82-33-570-4606 / 10
* Discover more on the official website.
Step on the wheels through pine trees and by the ocean. The rail bike offers you a chance to blend in with the beautiful nature of the area and to make an unforgettable memory with your friends and families. You will be passing a tunnel with spectacular razor and luminarie shows which will make you feel like you are in an underwater tunnel.
It takes about an hour and a half to finish the 5.4 km long one-way route and runs 5 times a day from each stop. (6 times in high season)
- Yongwha Stop : Yonghwahebyeon-gil 23, Geundeok-myeon, Samcheok-si, Gangwon-do
- Kungchon Stop : Gongyangwang-gil 2, Geundeok-myeon, Samcheok-si, Gangwon-do
Inquiries : +82-33-576-0656 / 8
- 2 passenger bike : 20,000 KRW (day), 22,000 KRW (night)
- 4 passenger bike : 30,000 KRW (day), 33,000 KRW (night)
* More details available on the official website.